MAX6675 Temperature Sensor Thermocouple Module
This module utilizes the MAX6675 IC which is a cold-junction-compensated K-Type thermocouple to digital converter. The MAX6675 has a maximum measurement range of 0°C to +1024°C depending on the thermocouple it is paired with.
Thermocouples work on the principle that dissimilar metals that are welded together at a single point will create a small voltage that will vary with the temperature. The main advantage of thermocouples over typical thermal sensing electronics such as the DS18B20 is that the sensing range can go much higher since a robust metallic probe is used to sense the temperature while the electronics hang back in a safe location. The flip side is that the reading may not be quite as accurate using a thermocouple.
When hooking up the thermocouple, the red lead attaches to the ‘+’ terminal on the module.
- GND = Connect to system ground. This ground needs to be in common with the MCU.
- VCC = Connect to 3.0 to 5.5V. Typically connected to the power of the MCU.
- SCK = Serial Clock Input. Connect to any digital pin on MCU.
- CS = Chip Select. Connect to any digital pin on MCU.
- SO = Serial Data Output. Connect to any digital pin on MCU.